Search This Blog

05 January, 2012

New Ingredient - Thai Basil

This was served in the Pho soup that we had in Lakewood, OH! The flavor of the thai basil has an anise flavor to it. It was the perfect garnish! I ordered this from my cute Chinese market lady! She doesn't normally carry this but special ordered it. I'm glad I asked!

I'm going to experiment with it in some dishes. I found a thai dish called Ground Chicken Basil that I'm going to mess around with. And of course will use it in my Pho from now on!

I'm freezing it like I did with my sweet basil this summer!

Wikipedia:
Thai basil, or Asian basil (húng quế in Vietnamese) is a type of sweet basil native to Southeast Asia that has been cultivated to provide distinctive traits. It has an identifiable licorice flavor not present in sweet basil, and its flavor is more stable under high or extended cooking temperatures than that of sweet basil. Thai basil exhibits small, narrow leaves and purple stems, with a mauve (pink-purple) flower. One cultivar commonly grown in the United States is 'Queen of Siam'.

No comments: