Search This Blog

06 March, 2011

Sushi Preparation

Although sushi requires LOTS of prep work, it is well worth it.


We made a trip to Rohr Fish Market in Toledo and got sashimi grade salmon, tuna and some raw shrimp to put in our sushi rolls, sashimi and appetizer!


Tuna: I cut the tuna steak up 3 different ways. I kept about 1/3 of it in a large 2 inch wide chunk to use for the Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer, sliced 1/3 of it into slices for sashimi and diced the remainder to make a Spicy Tuna roll with. The spicy tuna mixture was made with the diced tuna, light mayo and sriracha!

Salmon: After skinning the salmon filet I cut half into sashimi slices and half into longer peices to use in the sushi rolls.

Sushi Rice: I have lots of work to do on this part. I watched a video and followed the instructions but my rice just wasn't sticky enough. After a couple rolls I was able to doctor it up a little to get it to the right stickiness. I don't feel too bad that my first attempt didn't go so well after I found out that Japanese Sushi Chefs spend years mastering the art of making the perfect sushi rice.

Condiments: The other fillings that I made for the rolls were shrimp tempura, spicy crab mixture, cream cheese, green onions, red pepper, cucumber, avacado, eel sauce and imitation crab meat.

And of course the perfect beverage to accompany all of the perparation.....Asahi!!! Mmmmm....


And NOW we are finally ready to make some rolls!!!!!!!!

No comments: