Search This Blog

02 February, 2011

Cookin it Old School.....


Get it? Like kickin it old school but cookin it! I really need to get out of this house!!!! :)


After being cooped up in the house for a couple of days I decided to try something new.  I wasn't really sure what this was going to turn into.  I put the following ingredients in the pot in the morning and let it simmer on top of the wood stove all day long. 

Ingredients

2 Split Chicken Breasts (bone in)
2 Small Onions chopped
3 Cloves Garlic minced
1 C Carrot chopped
2 T Olive Oil
2 Tomatoes chopped
1 C Dry Beans mixed (I used pinto and great northern beans and black eyed peas)
Salt and Pepper, 1 Bay Leaf, Dash of Cayenne Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, Old Bay Blackened seasoning, Chipoltle Chili Powder and Cumin.  (Sorry, I didn't measure.  Just add a little bit of any or all)

Fill the pot to the top with water and let it all simmer for a couple of hours.  Remove the chicken breasts, pull off and shred the meat of one of the breasts and return it to the pot.  I put the other one in the fridge to use for something later.  At this point taste the broth to see if it needs any more salt or pepper.  Return the pot to the stove and let it simmer for a while longer.  About an hour before we ate I added a bottle of Yuengling Porter Beer and let it continue to simmer and reduce down.  Full cooking time should be at least 4 hours.

Right before eating I used a potato masher to mix up all of the ingredients and to break up some of the beans.  It really thickened the soup up nice.  It turned out to be a nice rich chicken chili. 

I made some homemade garlic cumin croutons to put on top along with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and cilantro. It was a hit!!!!


Enjoy!!!!


No comments: