Search This Blog

31 January, 2011

Grandmother's Brisket with a KICK!!!

Every year for my birthday growing up I would request my Grandmother's homemade brisket and bbq sauce.  It is, by far, one of my favorite meals!  I have made her recipe quite a few times but this time I decided to "kick it up a notch".......sorry, couldn't resist!  I got a 5 lb. brisket but decided to cut it in half since it was just for the three of us.  I trimmed off a good amount of the fat slab leaving only about 1/2 layer on the top.  Next time I will have the butcher do this for me.  This has to cook Low-N-Slow so I decided to make it on Sunday.  It was delish!!!!

Ingredients

2-3 lb. Beef Brisket (Not Corned Beef Brisket!!!)
Season both sides with salt (or seasoned salt), pepper and sprinkle with a couple dashes of liquid smoke.  Place in zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least a day. 

Pre-heat oven @ 275

In a baking dish add:
2 small Onions cut into large chunks
2 Garlic Cloves quartered
1/2 bottle of porter beer (I used Yuengling Porter!)
Place the brisket, fat slab on top, right on top of the onion and garlic so that it is not sitting on the bottom of the dish.  Cover the top of the brisket with a generous amount of fresh ground pepper and salt. 

Cover dish with foil and bake @ 275 for 4 hours, basting once halfway through! 

When done, remove from dish and let rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting.  When you slice brisket you have to slice it against the grain.  Cut into thin, 1/4 inch slices and serve meat alone with homemade BBQ Sauce recipe, as a sandwich or as an open faced sandwich like I did with Roasted Potato and Fennel salad and bread and butter pickles! 
OH...and don't throw out the deliciousness that is left in the bottom of the dish.  Strain it into bowl or cup or anything.  Let it sit, let the grease separate, skim it off the top and use it as a gravy/sauce/au jus!  I toasted some bread, soaked it with the drippings and then put the meat and sauce on top!!!  YUM!!! 


Enjoy!!!!!  OH...one more OH...a Yuengling Porter is the perfect beverage to go with this meal!!!

No comments: