Search This Blog

24 January, 2011

My new retirement plan!

I have watched many cooking contest shows on TV and always thought …..I should do that!  I’m doing it!  I found a Pillsbury contest online!  Grand Prize- One Miiiiillion Dollars!!!!!  I know it’s a long shot but it’s something else to do in the kitchen.  Today was round 1 of testing out my recipe!  There are 2 lists of ingredients.  You have to pick one Pillsbury item from each list and incorporate those into the recipe.  I’m attempting to make my Chinese Dumplings using Pillsbury dough rather than the wonton wrappers that I usually make them with.  So….here goes nothing!!!


Ingredients:
Peanut Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Mix together and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
2 T Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
4 T Sugar
2 T Rice Vinegar
½ Tsp. Sesame Oil
1 Tsp. Garlic Chili Paste
½ C Water
Mix all together until smooth
Add ¼ C Cilantro cleaned, stems removed and chopped
Set aside and let marinate in refrigerator
Dumpling meat mix
Saute together in a pan on medium heat until translucent (about 20 min):
2 Garlic Cloves minced
2 Small White Onions thinly sliced
¼ Head of Cabbage thinly shredded
2 T Olive Oil
1 T Sesame Seed Oil

Remove from heat and let cool
While the above is cooking in a mixing bowl mix and refrigerate for at least 2 hours these ingredients:
1 lb. Ground Chicken
½ C. chopped raw shrimp (I use frozen, peeled, tail removed and devaned)
3 Green Onions finely chopped
1 T Fresh Ginger Root grated
4 T Soy Sauce
1 Tsp. Garlic Chili Paste
½ Tsp. Sesame Seed Oil
1 Tsp. Sugar
¼ Tsp. Hot Chili Oil
1 Tsp. Oyster Sauce
1 T Corn Starch
Add in cooled cabbage mixture
Dough
Pillsbury Crusty French Bread dough unrolled and placed on a cooking sheet lightly coated with a small amount of Sesame Oil.  Cover completely with plastic wrap until ready to cut. 
Preheat oven @ 375
Now it’s time to put it all together. 
Flour large surface, lay out dough and cut into 3” wide strips and then cut each strip into 3 square pieces. 
Wet all four edges with water, place a heaping T of the meat mixture in the middle and seal bring opposite corners together on top and pinch together to seal seams.  Repeat, repeat, repeat….
Put dumplings on non stick cooking sheet.  Right before baking brush the top of each with an egg wash. 
Bake @ 375 for 30 min
Serve with dipping sauce!
Enjoy!!!!!! 

I was very happy with the outcome.  The crust was crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.  It was a perfect subsitute for the wontons.  In round 2 of the test I will be trying to shorten the process.  Most of the cooking contests that I've seen have a time limitation for preparing the dish.  This took WAY too long.  I have some ideas that will shorten the prep time and also the dumpling buiding.  I need to get a couple new kitchen gadgets.  Updates will follow!  I'm also looking for taste testers.  I'm a little bias so I need some new taisters to criticize.  Currently taking applications....

No comments: