Search This Blog

12 April, 2011

Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs with Sauteed Eggplant and Artichoke Hearts


My sweet Grandmother is ALWAYS stuck at home. She can't stand in the kitchen for much longer than to warm up something from the refrigerator or freezer. She's an old fashion foodie! She just loves to try new things and really appreciates good food. I don't cook for her enough, so I decided to make her a dinner tonight! It was lots of fun and I want to start doing it much more often. I know that we will both enjoy it!


Trying to keep with my healthy, low fat, low calorie diet I picked up 5 artichokes at the store yesterday. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but after watching Alberrrrto clean an artichoke I decided I was going to clean them down to the heart. It turned out to be a long, painful, tedious job, but had a delicious outcome.


Chicken Meatballs in Marinara Sauce

1 lb. Ground Chicken

1 Egg

1/4 C Parmesan Cheese

1/4 C Bread Crumbs

1/4 of a white onion finely chopped

1/4 tsp. Thyme

1/4 tsp. Oregano

1 tsp. Salt n Pepper


Spoon mixture into oiled baking dish in meatball sized scoops leaving a little space between each. Cover and bake at 375 for 1/2 hour.


Make Marinara Sauce (or use your favorite jar of sauce) and add the meatballs to the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes or so. Serve over your favorite pasta and top with some fresh grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil!!!


Artichokes, Eggplant and Red Onion Saute

5 Artichoke Hearts cleaned and quarter, boiled in salt water for about 10 minutes until tender

1/2 Eggplant cut into small chunks

1/2 Red Onion sliced

Saute in 2-3 T Olive Oil until everything is tender

Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder

Serve topped with fresh grated Gruyere Cheese!!!


This was hopefully the first of many meals I will make and share with my Grandmother!

No comments: