Search This Blog

08 November, 2013

Cream of Mushroom Soup (minus the cream)

Soups are on my mind.  Yes, soup!  It's getting cold.  I don't like cold.  Soups make me warm! :) 

This little crock-full of mushroom bliss was inspired by a $10 for $10 special at Meijer on Baby Bella mushrooms.  How can you pass that up? 

This recipe was super easy and super delicious!

1. Finely chop 4 shallots and 1 1/2 packages of mushrooms
2. Sauté in a little EVOO (don't add seasoning yet) 
3. VERY thinly slice the remaining 1/2 package of mushrooms
4. When shallots are translucent and mushrooms are golden brown, season with S&P
5. Pour 1% reduced fat Organic Milk (or whatever kind you use) into the pan.  Use as much as you want, depending on how much soup you want.  I used about 6 cups of milk for 2 servings.
6. Throw in 6 fresh sage leaves and the rest of the sliced mushrooms. Let simmer for a couple minutes. 
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper as it simmers. 
8. Thicken! You could use corn starch slurry or flour slurry, I used a gluten free rice starch.  I just sprinkled it in as it simmered and it thicken right up.  
9. Remove sage leaves and serve! 

Enjoy! 

No comments: